Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
SERVPRO of Catonsville provides many fire damage cleanup services. Upon arrival, our team will inspect and assess your home or business for fire damage, and then board-up or tarp any areas needed that same day. Next, we will mitigate any water damage present, and then perform smoke remediation processes to remove smoke and soot from the surfaces. Then we will perform final cleaning and any repairs needed, before beginning the restoration process that will return your home or business to its preloss condition.
If you have recently had a fire at your home or business, please read the fire damage emergency tips below. A fire at your home or business is devastating and stressful. We are here to help 24/7.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (410) 242-7370
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.